Thought-provoking piece on future of S.C. arts
In a sweeping new story, Charleston Scene interviewed several arts leaders who recently—or will—depart their posts as change comes to South Carolina’s arts scene.
Writer Maura Hogan asks, “What will the next phase look like?” after several high profile departures dating back to 2019. Among them:
- Kathleen (Kathi) P. Bateson (Arts Center of Coastal Carolina)
- Stephen Bedard (Gaillard Management Co.)
- Ken May (S.C. Arts Commission)
- Valerie Morris (College of Charleston School of the Arts)
- Nigel Redden (Spoleto Festival USA)
- Mark Sloan (College of Charleston Halsey Institute)
- Marjory Wentworth (former state poet laureate)
While reasons for the departures varied, nearly all involved foresee major change on the horizon in Charleston and the state, whether as a result of the pandemic, recent emphasis on diversity and inclusion, or other things.
Click here to read the story from Charleston Scene (subscription possibly required).
Charleston photo by Jason Rapp/SCAC.