Introducing the SCAC’s Emerging Artists Grant
Application deadline: Friday, November 13, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. ET
New to your craft? The South Carolina Arts Commission wants to help.
Starting in January and running through June 30, the Emerging Artist Grant is designed to assist emerging artists in South Carolina through grant funding as well as mentorship and professional support during the grant period.
The combination of funding and mentorship is intended to:
- deepen artistic practice and foster artistic excellence;
- encourage career growth, advancement, and sustainability; and
- provide professional development and opportunities for collaboration.
Grants of $1,500 will be awarded to emerging artists in the areas of:
- opera/musical theatre;
- theatre (acting and/or playwriting);
- visual arts;
- design arts (architecture, fashion, graphic, industrial, and/ or interior);
- crafts (clay, fiber, glass, leather, metal, paper, plastic, wood, and/ or mixed media);
- media arts (production, including animation; and/ or screenwriting);
- photography; and/or
- literature (poetry and/ or prose).
So, who’s considered an emerging artist?
First of all, age is not the determining factor. “Emerging artists” are defined as those who are at an early stage in their career development (specifically, artists who are starting their careers and have been active for one to five years).
What does emerging mean?
The term “emerging” refers to professional accomplishments and recognition, not to stylistic evolution.
- An emerging artist is expected to have a limited performing, publishing or exhibition record.
- Emerging artists may demonstrate potential in their practice through risk-taking and pushing their work in dynamic ways.
***Want to learn more?***
A Zoom session is to be held Tuesday, Oct. 20 at 3 p.m. Again, this is for artists in the early stages of their career (1-5 years) who are interested in applying for an Emerging Artist Grant. Topics to be covered include:
- outlining the purpose of the grant,
- the role of the mentorship,
- and what to include in the narrative/project proposal.
You can register for the free Zoom session by clicking here.
The grant guidelines are live and you may now apply for the S.C. Arts Commission’s Emerging Artist Grant. The deadline to apply is Friday, Nov. 13, 2020.