Take your emerging arts career to the next level
Introducing the SCAC's Emerging Artists Grant
Application deadline: Friday, November 13, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. ET
New to your craft? The South Carolina Arts Commission wants to help.
Starting in January and running through June 30, the Emerging Artist Grant is designed to assist emerging artists in South Carolina through grant funding
as well as mentorship and professional support
during the grant period.
The combination of funding and mentorship is intended to:
- deepen artistic practice and foster artistic excellence;
- encourage career growth, advancement, and sustainability; and
- provide professional development and opportunities for collaboration.
Grants of $1,500 will be awarded to emerging artists in the areas of:
- opera/musical theatre;
- theatre (acting and/or playwriting);
- visual arts;
- design arts (architecture, fashion, graphic, industrial, and/ or interior);
- crafts (clay, fiber, glass, leather, metal, paper, plastic, wood, and/ or mixed media);
- media arts (production, including animation; and/ or screenwriting);
- photography; and/or
- literature (poetry and/ or prose).
So, who's considered an emerging artist?
First of all, age is not the determining factor. "Emerging artists" are defined as those who are at an early stage in their career development (specifically, artists who are starting their careers and have been active for one to five years).
What does emerging mean?
The term "emerging" refers to professional accomplishments and recognition, not to stylistic evolution.
- An emerging artist is expected to have a limited performing, publishing or exhibition record.
- Emerging artists may demonstrate potential in their practice through risk-taking and pushing their work in dynamic ways.
***Want to learn more?***
A Zoom session is to be held Tuesday, Oct. 20 at 3 p.m. Again, this is for artists in the early stages of their career (1-5 years) who are interested in applying for an Emerging Artist Grant. Topics to be covered include:
You can register for the free Zoom session by clicking here
- outlining the purpose of the grant,
- the role of the mentorship,
- and what to include in the narrative/project proposal.
The grant guidelines are live
and you may now apply for the S.C. Arts Commission's Emerging Artist Grant. The deadline to apply is Friday, Nov. 13, 2020
Harpo Foundation invites applications for Emerging Artist Fellowship
The Chicago-based Harpo Foundation's Emerging Artist Fellowship at the Santa Fe Art Institute was established in 2013 to provide an annual opportunity to an emerging visual artist who is at least 25 years old and who needs time and space to explore ideas and start new projects. One fellowship is awarded annually to an emerging artist who demonstrates strong artistic ability and promise, as well as an evolving practice at a pivotal moment in his or her development. Artist fellows receive a one-month residency at the Santa Fe Art Institute, which includes a well-appointed room with private bath, well-lit studio space, and a $500 travel stipend.
The application deadline is July 5. Complete program guidelines and applications instructions are available online.
The Harpo Foundation was established in 2006 to support under-recognized artists. The foundation seeks to stimulate creative inquiry and encourage new modes of thinking about art.
Founded in 1985, the Santa Fe Art Institute provides a unique opportunity for emerging artists to pursue creative projects without interruption. SFAI supports more than 50 residents per year and offers a cohesive, arts-focused environment that creates the ideal working conditions for resident artists. There are no requirements on the work produced during an artist's time at SFAI.
Via: Harpo Foundation