The Johnson Collection seeks communications specialist
The Johnson Collection seeks an energetic, creative Communications Specialist to manage TJC’s public profile including press relations, website content, social media, special events, and various publications.
Qualified candidates should submit letter of interest, resumé, and two writing samples to Sarah Tignor, email@example.com or:
The Johnson Collection
100 Dunbar Street, Suite 203
Spartanburg, SC 29306
Located in Spartanburg, South Carolina, the Johnson Collection offers an extensive survey of artistic activity in the American South from the late eighteenth century to the present day. The Johnson family is committed to creating a collection which captures and illuminates the rich history and diverse cultures of the region. By making masterworks from its holdings available for critical exhibitions and academic research, the collection hopes to advance interest in the dynamic role that the art of the South plays in the larger context of American art and to contribute to the canon of art historical literature. The collection also seeks to enrich its local community by inviting the public to interact with these inspiring works of art. For more information about the collection, please visit www.thejohnsoncollection.org.
Essential Job Qualifications
- Four-year college degree in English, art history, journalism, or related field.
- Prior work experience preferred in art, non-profit, journalism, or related field.
- Excellent writing ability, as well as outstanding editing and proofreading skills.
- Expertise in managing website content maintenance systems and social media platforms.
- Experience developing and implementing collaborative projects with cross-institutional teams and through community outreach.
- Congenial nature with an innate sense of hospitality and welcome.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite and Windows knowledge; Adobe Creative Suite familiarity preferred; comfortable with basic digital photography; familiarity with collection management or parallel inventory software is a plus.
Additional Job Qualifications
- Authentic, demonstrable interest in the arts and community engagement on both a large and small scale.
- Engaging verbal communicator, able to build interest in and enthusiasm for the collection, its exhibitions, and programs.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, cooperative environment for creation and implementation of projects; equally comfortable in a leadership role or as a team member.
- Critical thinking skills that embrace innovative approaches to advance the regional, national, and global reputation of TJC as a premier collection of fine art related to the American South.
- Excellent listening skills, comfortable receiving input from many sources; able to strategize by analyzing and formulating disparate information into a sound, well-organized plan.
- Strong work ethic and highly-developed organizational and strategic planning skills; ability to independently manage multiple projects, attend to multiple details, and meet deadlines while supporting other collection projects and priorities.
- Professional agility and sensitivity for working with diverse personalities and situations; tactful and respectful of others’ concerns; able to reach objectives when barriers arise by developing creative alternatives.
Additional job description can be found at www.thejohnsoncollection.org/opportunities.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is committed to diversity and equal opportunity employment. The Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy (including medical needs due to pregnancy, child birth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military obligations, or marital status. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including employment status and opportunities such as hiring, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, and termination and applies to all Company employees and applicants.