Sumter Gallery of Art seeks director of art education
The Director of Art Education at the Sumter County Gallery of Art (SCGA) manages the Art Education Programs. He/she is responsible for the overall development, coordination and operation of the Gallery’s educational programs, which includes gallery based programs and art classes, and off-site, community–based art education programs and partnerships. The position requires a high level of professionalism, commitment to quality programming and excellent service, connecting with families and children, artist communities, education communities, community organizations, and the community at-large.
The successful candidate possesses knowledge of modern and contemporary art and artistic practices, including socially engaged and culturally diverse art; commitment to the community engagement role of the gallery; some familiarity with museum education theory and best practices; program development and implementation, research, budgeting, personnel management skills.
- Job Duties/Responsibilities
- Implement, evaluate and manage all established SCGA art education programs including: 7-week Summer Art Camp for youth ages 4-17, spring and fall classes for youth and adults, Summer Art Camp Scholarship Fund, workshops, festivals and off-site partnerships including, but not limited to, the HYPE afterschool program serving 300 children at 4 sites.
- Develop and expand new art education programming and community partnerships
- Seek out community groups with different missions for possible collaborative programming that align with the socially aware and inclusive mission of SCGA.
- Collaborate with gallery staff, the Director, Curator, and education assistant on ideas, programs and activities that integrate SCGA art programs with the exhibitions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and graphic design computer programs. Ability to design and generate spreadsheets, invitations, brochures, posters for all SCGA art programs strongly desired. Maintain the Education page of the SCGA website.
- Identify and write grants to fund educational programming
- Work with educators from Sumter School District to coordinate field trips and design assignments based on SCGA exhibitions. Work with Sumter art instructors to present the annual Senior Exhibition at the gallery. Plan, advertise and host reception.
- Supervise and train education staff, including PT education assistant and volunteers
- Plan and manage education budget
- Prepare written/verbal reports for the Gallery’s board of directors.
- B.A. required; Master’s degree preferred in Art Education, Art History, Museum Studies, or related field OR a minimum 2 years prior experience in art education at the classroom, museum or arts organization level.
- Knowledge and appreciation of contemporary art, artistic practices, socially engaged art, and museum education methodology
- Solid computer skills including Filemaker Pro, Word, Excel and PhotoShop. If candidate is not adept in PhotoShop, a willingness and motivation to learn is imperative
- Knowledge of WordPress website platform
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, including personnel management, budgeting, prioritization, preparation and time management.
- Self-directed, energetic, highly motivated, and outcome-oriented. Respect for and sensitivity to diversity and individuality.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- SCGA has a small, close-knit staff and we all wear many hats – some not directly related to the job description. Must be a good “team player” with an attitude and willingness to help and support each other.
- Some evening and weekend work – at least one Saturday a month.
Competitive salary based on experience. No benefits. Vacation and sick leave. E.O.E.
Email Resume w/references and cover letter to email@example.com. 803-775-0543