Sumter County Gallery of Art is hiring
Art Education Coordinator and Gallery Assistant
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, August 1, 2023
- COMPENSATION INFORMATION: $34,000 / FT / flex schedule
Please send resume and cover letter to Executive Director Karen Watson: email@example.com
The Sumter County Gallery of Art is seeking a qualified candidate for a full-time art education coordinator and gallery assistant who will work closely with the art education director to plan and design art education programming, community partnerships.
Candidate will be responsible for graphic design of art education materials. Candidates will also occasionally assist the SCGA curator/asst. director and should be able to lift 30-40 pounds.
- Degree (BA or BFA) in art education, graphic design, or studio art.
- Solid computer skills including extended knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office for Mac. Some knowledge of the website design platform WordPress.
- Able to document gallery events via videography and photography.
- Ability to maintain timely communication and relationships with instructors, students, and staff.
- Ability to be a good “team player” as part of a small close-knit staff. Realization that each member of the staff “wears many hats,” some of them not directly related to their job description.
Duties and responsibilities
- Work closely with the art education director to evaluate existing art education programs. Develop new programs and partnerships that further the gallery’s mission to provide art education opportunities to youth and adults of all ages, that increase participation and reach traditionally underserved communities.
- Assist in planning and facilitation of HYPE (Helping Youth Pursue Excellence) afterschool and community center programs (both programs are off-site).
- Inventory, organize and order supplies of materials and classrooms.
- Set up and assist in classes. Be able to supervise students and provide individual assistance.
- Responsible for graphic design of art education materials and maintaining social media presence via images and video
- Work with the SCGA curator/asst. director to perform some curatorial tasks such as light painting and transport of art and exhibition furniture.
- Assist and attend off-site festivals and events, including, but not limited to: ArtFields, the Iris Festival, Festival on the Avenue, Art in the Park, and eSTEAM.
The Sumter County Gallery of Art (SCGA), established in 1969, is a non-profit, community-based institution with a mission to provide visual arts and arts education opportunities to Sumter, Clarendon and Lee Counties – an extensively rural region of the state, geographically and economically isolated from the major art centers in the U.S. SCGA is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life of our community through the visual arts. SCGA is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive work environment where cultural diversity is celebrated and valued. We believe diversity benefits and enriches the lives of all our visitors, members, students, and staff.