Application deadline: December 12
The Columbia Film Society is looking for a dynamic, forward-thinking leader to join one of the most creative and hard working teams in the art house cinema sector. Created in response to the organization’s rapid growth, the Nickelodeon theatre director position will oversee the programming, marketing, operations and staff of the Nickelodeon Theatre. The primary artistic leader for the exhibition arm of the Columbia Film Society, the Nickelodeon director serves as the public face for the Nick’s retail organization. The Nickelodeon director reports to the CEO of the Columbia Film Society and serves on the senior leadership team along with the Indie Grits Labs director, the development manager and the CEO.
Programming: Shaping the artistic vision for the Nickelodeon Theatre, the Nickelodeon theatre director works with the programming staff, film buyer, and community members to program both screens of the Nick throughout the year, including:
- Managing programming coordinators
- With programming team, developing and maintaining five-year programming plan for special series and festivals
- Overseeing the development of six to eight curated film series each fiscal year
- Maintaining regular contact with film buyer to ensure high-quality first-run programming
- With programming and marketing teams, establishing and communicating weekly screening times
- Seeking out opportunities for special screenings of particular interest to our community
- Ensuring programming calendar is regularly shared and understood throughout the organization
- Staying abreast of trends in the independent cinema sector
Marketing: With two screens operating 365 days a year, the Nickelodeon theatre director will oversee efforts to effectively communicate the richness of the Nick’s programming to local, regional and national audiences, by:
- Developing and implementing innovative and effective strategies for promoting the Nickelodeon’s programming – including first-run independent films, special series and screenings
- Managing designer/interactive coordinator, marketing manager and other marketing support staff
- Maintaining a yearly marketing calendar for special series, Nick Mags and special events
- Working with the senior leadership team to implement innovative institutional marketing spikes that raise general awareness of the organization
- Ensuring Nickelodeon messaging is effectively communicated through excellent customer service experiences online, over the phone, in-person, and in the lobby
- Measuring and reporting outcomes of marketing efforts
Finance and Operations: Protecting and managing the physical and fiscal assets of the Nickelodeon is essential to ensuring the organization fulfills its mission. The Nickelodeon Theatre director will oversee the finances and operations of the organization, including:
- Managing the operations manager and bookkeeper
- Developing and managing the annual operating budget for the Nickelodeon Theatre, in coordination with the senior leadership team
- Managing the day-to-day and long term finances of the Nickelodeon Theatre
- Overseeing and approving quarterly finance reports for board meetings
- Overseeing annual audit process
- Overseeing the upkeep and maintenance of theater facilities and equipment, including work done by third party contractors
- Ensuring the Nickelodeon is in compliance with necessary state and local licenses, taxes, and other government filings
- Annually reviewing organization’s insurance policies to ensure sufficient coverage
Find a complete list of duties, qualifications and application instructions online.
The application deadline is December 12 at 5 p.m. EST.
About the organization
The Columbia Film Society’s Nickelodeon Theatre serves Columbia, South Carolina, as a center for critical dialogue, anchored by the presentation of films that showcase the diversity, challenges, joy and aspiration of its community. A destination for enjoyment, enrichment, and education, the Nick provides the tools to make, interpret, appreciate, and teach the moving image in all its variety. Founded in 1979, the Nickelodeon is South Carolina’s only non-profit arthouse cinema.