Good morning! “Tuning Up” is a new, morning series of posts where The Hub delivers quick-hit arts stories of interest to readers. Sometimes there will be one story, sometimes there will be several. Get in tune now, and have a masterpiece of a day. And now, in no particular order…
- Young Minds Dreaming: The South Carolina State Library is encouraging young writers from grades 3-12 to capture the power of their words and experience the freedom of original literary expressions. (Maybe the snow could be an inspiration for Upstate students.) Check out more info on the Young Minds Dreaming Poetry Contest.
- SCAC Fellow exhibition opening: Arts Commission Fellow Robert Lyon has an exhibition opening at the Arts & Heritage Center in North Augusta. More details via The Augusta Chronicle here.
- Person of the Year: The Orangeburg Times & Democrat named Dr. Leo Twiggs, 2017 Elizabeth O’Neill Verner Lifetime Achievement Award winner and recipient of the Order of the Palmetto, its Person of the Year.
- Caldera Arts seeks AiR applications: Now through March 15, apply for a 3.5-week residency in the foothills of Oregon’s Cascade Mountains. (You don’t have to tell us twice…) Open to all U.S. artists in any discipline.
- AVI Grants Deadline tonight: Letters of Intent to pursue an AVI (Artists’ Ventures Initiative) grant from SCAC are due by 11:59 p.m. ET tonight!
(Image credit: South Carolina Philharmonic/Michael Dantzler)