Free workshop for middle school and high school drama teachers
Challenge yourself artistically and develop practical classroom strategies
Middle and high school drama teachers from across South Carolina are invited to the Voice for the Actor workshop taking place Friday, March 11, from 6 - 9 p.m. and Saturday, March 12, from 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. at the South Carolina Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities in Greenville. Participants will join Candace Dickinson (SCGSAH Drama Department Voice faculty member and professional opera singer) in exploring lessons learned from Patsy Rodenburg’s Shakespeare’s Heightened Language workshop series. This professional development opportunity will address each participant’s vocal strengths and needs through individual and ensemble work while offering practical resources to share with students. Continuing education credits are offered.
Hotel and meal accommodations are provided. There is no cost to attend, however a $50 refundable deposit is required to secure your reservation. Your deposit will be refunded once you successfully complete the program.
To register, contact Carol Baker at email@example.com or 864.282.3729.
This workshop is supported by the ABC Project, the South Carolina Arts Commission and the South Carolina Cable Television Association.
Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities accepting applications for high school and summer programs
The South Carolina Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities is currently accepting applications for 2013 summer programs and the 2013/2014 academic high school year. The application deadline is Jan. 9, 2013.
Located in downtown Greenville, this public residential high school serves students statewide and has the third highest SAT scores in South Carolina. The 2013/14 high school program offers rigorous academics and pre-professional training in one of five arts areas: creative writing, dance, drama, music or visual arts. Summer programs are offered in each of the art areas.
The high school accepts applications in any art area from current high school sophomores. Exceptions:
- Music: In addition to sophomores, high school juniors may apply and audition to attend the music program during their senior year. Applicants must exhibit an advanced level of training that would allow them to thrive within a rigorous music program. The music department will consider exceptionally talented current freshman students as instrumental early admission applicants for three years of study.
- Dance: Students interested in the dance program may apply as a freshman or sophomore to attend the high school.
Summer programs include:
- Discovery - A two-week program in creative writing, drama, music or visual arts for rising 9th graders. Apply in the 8th grade.
- Academy - A two-week program in creative writing, drama, music or visual arts for rising 10th grade students. Apply in the 9th grade.
- Summer Dance - A five-week program in ballet and modern dance for rising 7th through 12th graders. Apply in grades 6-11.
Applications and more details are available online at www.scgsah.org
. For additional questions, contact the enrollment office at 864.282.3713.
Via: South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts and Humanities