Engaging Creative Minds received an Arts in Education/Education and Community Partnership grant from the South Carolina Arts Commission for the Summer STEAM Institute. Students in grades three through eight are invited to participate.
Engaging Creative Minds of Charleston (ECM) is accepting registrations for the Summer STEAM Institute.
Summer STEAM is designed for creative and energetic students in grades three through eight who want to spend their summer engaged in unique learning experiences that encourage creativity and problem solving. STEAM campers will learn from local artists, cultural organizations, and professionals in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics.
No experience necessary! Register for any or all of the individual week sessions running Monday through Friday from June 16 – July 25 (no camp July 4). Themes change each week, so no two weeks are the same.
- June 16-June 20: It’s getting hot in here! Climate change and the environment with Annex Dance Company, the Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art, musician Philip Lipton, and Storytree Theater
- June 23-June 27: Bonds and Big Bangs: Chemical reactions with Garage Bank and musician Tom Noren, dance with the Charleston Performing Arts Center, dance and visual arts with Heal with Hearts, and Storytree Theater
- June 30-July 4: Outta this world! Blast off with Charleston Stage, storyteller Tim Dillinger, musicians from Hungry Monk, and Art Connects
- July 7-July 11: So you think you can fly? Force Motion and Superheroes with Annex Dance Company, Mary Harris with prints from the Gibbes Museum of Art, musicians from Hungry Monk, and Art Connects
- July 14-July 18: Rhythm, Robots and RAM with musician Tom Noren, Charleston Stage, Becky Becker’s Box of Puppets, and visual artist Kris Westerson using digital art technology
- July 21 – July 25: Mathematical Beauty in Nature: the Golden Ratio with Kirk Sprinkles from the Charleston Performing Arts Center, visual artist and writer Kathleen Fox, the Hero Project with Deborah Meyer, and visual artist Cathie Murdaugh
Summer STEAM is located at the Charleston County School of the Arts. Camp hours are 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. with breakfast, lunch and healthy snacks included in the price each day. Cost is $200 per week for individual weeks or $175 per week if registering for three or more weeks.
Students are grouped age appropriately with a 5:1 student-to-certified teacher ratio. Fridays are dedicated to Think Tank Challenges in which community professionals engage students in solving real-world problems.
For more information or to register, visit engagingcreativeminds.org or call 843.789.0450.
About Engaging Creative Minds
Engaging Creative Minds is a nonprofit organization that captures the unique talents of local artists, cultural organizations, and innovative community partners to help students achieve high standards through imagination and innovation. Our mission is to inspire the creative and innovative potential of all students to achieve academically and become imaginative, adaptable, and productive adults resulting in stronger communities and an increasingly competitive South Carolina workforce. Our unique public/private partnership design provides equal access to quality, standards-based, creative learning opportunities, curriculum, and integrated instruction in Engaging Creative Mind schools, as well as professional development for Charleston County School District teachers, principals, and staff.