Artists invited to submit proposals for mural project
South Carolina artists with experience in designing and constructing outdoor murals are invited to respond to Richland County’s Request for Proposals for a mural or a group of murals to be created on the Staples Building at 2744 Decker Boulevard (pictured above) in the northeast area of Columbia. The mural(s) will provide a focal point for the multi-ethnic cultures that have contributed to the international flair of Decker Boulevard, which is known as the “International Corridor.”
Submission deadline is Dec. 18, 2013, at 4 p.m. A required pre-proposal meeting is scheduled for Dec. 4 at 1 p.m. in Richland County chambers.
1. Artists must be professional artists living in South Carolina.
2. Artists must have at least five years experience in designing and constructing outdoor murals.
3. Materials are left to the discretion of the artist, but must ensure durability, longevity, long-term exposure to the elements, and low-level maintenance.
4. A Maintenance Plan describing materials and processes used so that repairs may be made if required, and a schedule of maintenance must be provided by the artist(s).
5. Artists must submit a portfolio of at least 3 outdoor murals completed within the last 5 years.
6. Artists must submit current references for each completed project.
The maximum budget for this project – labor, materials, supplies, equipment, etc. – is $10,000. Richland County will cover the cost of scaffolding rental not to exceed $1,000. Any additional rental cost will be the responsibility of the artist.
The artist is encouraged to partner with Richland Northeast High School to incorporate students in the development and installation of the mural.
Review the complete guidelines and submission information here. Guidelines are also available on the Cultural Council of Richland and Lexington Counties’ website. For more information, contact the Cultural Council at (803) 799-3115.
Via: Cultural Council of Richland and Lexington Counties