American Theatre Wing offers new grant for public school theatre programs
Application deadline is Sept. 30
With the support of the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation, the American Theatre Wing is investing in public schools to help drama teachers get more of the resources needed to provide quality drama instruction in their schools. Through a grant-giving program, funding will be provided directly to under-resourced public schools to provide items such as musical instruments, a dance floor, costumes, a lighting grid, licensing support and other necessary materials to help create new and enhance existing theatre programs.
Who can apply?
Any individual public K-12 school or nonprofit parent group associated with that public K-12 school. Private/parochial schools, home schools, and pre-schools are not eligible. Parent groups (Parent Teacher Associations, etc.) may apply, but must have an independent EIN and official 501 c (3) status from the IRS. If your group does not have 501 c (3) status, please apply through your school, however, the PTA can still be the point of contact for a proposal.
What kinds of project proposals are competitive?
Teachers may apply directly for resources they need to nurture young talent in their schools. Grant requests of up to $100,000 will be considered, but the priority will be for requests in the $10,000 to $40,000 range.
Grant funding can be used for resources to enhance learning in the areas of theatre and the performing arts, including:
- Capital costs of equipment and labor required to install that equipment.
- Costs associated with arts-related events, especially the presentation of plays, musicals, and other theatrical performances.
- Supplies related to the production of plays, musicals, or other theatrical events.
- Special trips/events, including student trips or tours in support of drama/theatre education
- Theatre tickets for students to see professional productions
- September 30 – Deadline to apply
- November – Review process, selections made by panel of industry experts
- December – Notification of grants