Bethel United Methodist Church
Located in Charleston’s historic district, Bethel UMC has been situated at the corner of Calhoun and Pitt Streets since 1797 and is distinguished as a National Historic Landmark. The first church building, a simple wooden structure, served both white and black members until 1852 when it was pushed westward on the lot facing Calhoun Street to afford the building of a new and larger sanctuary. The early building, now known as Old Bethel, was donated to the black congregation in 1876. Amid good will of both white and black congregations, it was moved across the street to its present location, 222 Calhoun Street, in 1882. It continues to serve as Charleston’s oldest standing Methodist Church building.