Trustus Theatre conducting search for new executive director
Trustus Theatre is searching for a new executive director.
The executive director will serve as the chief operating officer responsible for managing the human and financial resources of Trustus Theatre according to the policies, strategic direction and mission formulated by the board of directors. He or she will provide direct oversight of all financial, operations, resource development and public relations objectives. The executive director will report to the Board of Directors through the Board President and will advise the Board on all matters that may be of benefit in achieving the theatre’s objectives.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to lead and manage
the operations of a creative nonprofit organization
that seeks to enrich the lives and deepen the experiences of artists and patrons.
The successful candidate will possess the following leadership competencies:
- Demonstrated successful fundraising expertise. It is critical for the future of Trustus Theatre that funding be secure. The executive director must have the ability to establish and strengthen community relationships, cultivate new sources of revenue, lead fund solicitation to include grant and proposal writing, secure program and season sponsors, and assure donor stewardship. Grant management experience is also necessary.
- Strong community engagement and collaboration skills. The executive director must be a good listener, strategist and collaborator. He or she will be able to engage with long standing stakeholders and also build relationships with a wider group to build strong connections that are mutually beneficial to Trustus Theatre and the community. Able to build strong community and civic leader relations to leverage good will and financial support. Relates well to people of diverse backgrounds and exhibits genuinely warm and approachable behavior.
- Strategic thinker with visionary leadership. The executive director will be a strategic thinker, able to engage Trustus Theatre staff and board in a strategic, thoughtful process of growth. The executive director will inspire confidence and provide leadership and vision to ensure a promising future for Trustus Theatre. He or she will demonstrate honesty, sincerity and respect for individuals while modeling organizational values, inspiring trust in and from others.
- Personnel and financial management. The executive director will be an experienced and effective manager of people. He or she will be able to build an effective staff team working together toward a common vision. The executive director will have the ability to engage, manage, motivate and unite staff around common goals and strategies, and to drive teamwork and results across functions and work groups. He or she will have strong financial acumen and demonstrate fiduciary responsibility, ensuring generally accepted accounting principles are continually adhered to and related to all budget and financial matters.
The successful candidate will have experience working in a leadership management role, with preference given to experience with a theatrical or other creative arts organization. Specific qualifications also include:
- Proven business acumen, with a track record of effective management and budgeting.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related and appropriate discipline and a minimum of five years’ experience, with at least three (3) in a leadership role.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, Google Suite and Slack.
Trustus Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Interested applicants should submit their resume (cover letter optional) and salary requirements to the Search Committee by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trustus Theatre was opened in 1985 by Kay and Jim Thigpen. For 35 years Trustus Theatre has given talented and visionary theatre artists a home where they can be innovative and creative. It has also been home to adventurous theatre-goers who seek out contemporary stories and feel at home as members of a vibrant, cohesive community. Located in the Congaree Vista in Columbia, the theatre boasts two performing venues with the Thigpen Main Stage seating 132, and the Trustus Side Door Theatre seating 50. The underlying principle of Trustus has always been to bring the best of the newest and original plays to an audience craving professional theatre in a setting that is comfortable and unique. Success is measured by a commitment to collaboration and innovation, while impact is measured by the creation of a more diverse and vibrant Columbia.