APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 15, 2022, or until position is filled
Town Theatre is seeking a full-time Technical Director. The job will be filled by someone who can maintain the theatre’s reputation for high quality, entertaining productions as well as Town’s atmosphere of being a welcoming and rewarding place for creating live theatre.
The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of all aspects of technical theatre including set design, construction, lighting and sound. Town Theatre is soon to embark on its 103rd season. Traditionally, the theatre produces five main stage shows during the season (September to May), a large summer main stage musical and two to three youth theatre productions. The technical director works with and oversees Town’s technical assistants (1 FTE) as well as other volunteer contractors.
The theatre itself is a proscenium stage theatre with a fly system. The technical director builds in an onsite workshop and on the stage. Town Theatre values the ability of all staff to work in and promote a harmonious work environment.
Roles and responsibilities
- Oversee that all scenic elements for productions are constructed and completed as determined by the production schedule.
- Supervise volunteer support related to construction, painting, props, run crews, lighting crews and production crews.
- Order all materials needed for construction.
- Schedule and train production crews for performances.
- Create shop drawings or models as needed to communicate plans to production teams, other technical assistants and volunteer helpers.
- Help with purchase and installation of equipment and technology.
- Maintain a safe working environment.
- Maintain all shop tools and equipment, along with theatrical sound and lighting equipment.
- Provide input on budget for production expenses and capital improvements.
- Responsible for in house repairs and maintenance to the facility and serve as the point of contact for repairs by outside contractors.
- Attend production meetings.
- Track production budget.
- Supervise and attend all strikes for shows.
- Willingness to fill in where needed (i.e., run crew, light and sound operator, etc.).
The ideal candidate will have:
- An associate degree; bachelor’s degree desirable.
- 5+ years work experience in technical theatre.
- 3+ year experience in management and supervision.
- Significant and verifiable experience as a technical director in professional, community or university theatre.
- An ability to effectively mentor and support volunteers.
- The desire and ability to work collaboratively and cordially with fellow staff, stage managers, directors and volunteers.
- The ability to meet deadlines with quality results.
- A capacity to manage, monitor and report expenditures and staying within budgets.
A full job description may be found at towntheatre.com. Please send a letter of interest, résumé, and link to visual examples of scenic design work to email@example.com.