The Sumter County Gallery of Art is seeking a qualified candidate for a full-time exhibition curator position who will work closely with the executive director to plan and design a diverse program of rotating exhibitions. Candidates should possess a general knowledge of art history, painting and sculpture, new media (i.e. film, video, or installation art), as well as knowledge of both the national and international contemporary art scene(s) and the historical determinants.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Packing and unpacking the artwork, preparing, installing, and de-installing the exhibitions, and reclaiming the gallery space.
• Light carpentry and miscellaneous construction skills.
• Receipt and shipping (or driving to pick up and deliver shows within the region) of exhibits as well as insuring appropriate conditions in the exhibition galleries (temperature, humidity, lighting) while they are on display.
• Production of related publications, lecture series and symposia.
• Document, care for, develop, and display the existing permanent collection including the Elizabeth White Collection.
• Design and maintenance of the SCGA website.
• Presentations, tours and talks to individuals and groups about the exhibitions in the galleries.
• Teach occasional adult and youth art education classes and workshops.
• Some heavy lifting required.
• MFA (preferred), or BFA in art history or studio art with at least two years of exhibition/curatorial experience.
• Solid computer skills including Photoshop, Filemaker Pro, Word, Excel, iWeb, WordPress preferred.
• Demonstrated technical skills in programming, video, and sound.
• Ability to communicate the ambitious and inclusive vision of the Sumter County Gallery of Art to the general public; to be a passionate advocate.
• Ability to maintain good relationships with artists, donors, and the public.
• Ability to be a “team player” within a small close-knit staff.
Email resume, contact information, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Karen Watson, Director, Sumter County Gallery of Art, P.O. Box 1316, Sumter, SC 29151. Full-time position, paid vacation and sick leave. Call Watson at (803) 775-0543 with any questions.
About the Sumter Gallery of Art
The Sumter County Gallery of Art, established in 1969, is a nonprofit, community-based institution with a mission to provide visual arts and arts education opportunities to the tri-county area of Sumter, Clarendon and Lee Counties, an extensively rural, economically depressed region of the state, geographically isolated from the major art centers in the U.S. SCGA serves as one of the only cultural resources for the visual arts available to the area.
Via: Sumter Gallery of Art