S.O. Youth Orchestra Conductor/Education Coordinator
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. ET
The Summerville Orchestra announced efforts to collaborate with the education community, specifically through the creation of a brand-new, youth string orchestra program, music advocacy initiatives, and mentorship opportunities.
In line with the S.O.’s strategic goals to promote and enhance music education in our area, the Summerville Orchestra seeks a dynamic, energetic, passionate, and dedicated musician/educator/conductor to lead this new education initiative.
A priority on the S.O. ‘s strategic plan is to create a youth string orchestra to enhance our young citizens’ love of music, while also promoting their musical growth and development. This new ensemble will be composed of students from grades 6-10 from the surrounding areas outlined below. It will directly strengthen, reinforce, and enhance the string pedagogy of our local school districts and teachers from the private, public-school districts, and home-school communities of the Summerville area. These include, but are not limited to, Dorchester, Berkeley, and Charleston counties. The opportunity to participate in the ensemble will be offered at no cost to students or their families.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate self-starter with a demonstrated record of success leading youth ensemble(s). The director will be directly responsible for the growth of this ensemble, including all recruitment and retention of young musicians, and leading them in weekly rehearsals in preparation for the ensemble’s three yearly concerts.
In addition, the S.O. aims to engage 3rd-5th grade students directly in the classroom to help them get into their middle school and high school music classes. The ideal candidate will be able to craft fun and engaging 30-45-minute music lessons for students. We envision the ideal candidate working closely with the surrounding school districts and homeschool communities to create opportunities to get students in front of music.
Finally, the S.O. wishes to enhance the community by creating opportunities for high school students who wish to pursue music post K-12 education. The ideal candidate will work with the student’s music teacher as well as local colleges to enhance and broaden the musical opportunities students have access to.
- Part-time employment equal to: .5 time (or, 20 hours per week)
- Compensation: $20,000/yr.
Candidates are encouraged to expand their work as necessary to meet the needs of their lifestyle, but not to exceed their abilities within the orchestra.
Summerville has a vibrant cultural and music scene, and is located just outside of Charleston, a music hub of the southeast. Opportunities such as private lessons, wedding performances, additional orchestral performances, and summer camps are very easy to take hold of to provide additional necessary means.
As part of a compensation package, candidates will also be eligible to apply for professional development through the Summerville Orchestra and Dorchester District 2, and interested candidates may seek private conducting lessons and training with Music Director Wojciech Milewski.
The Summerville Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local anti-discrimination laws.
- Youth orchestra directorship experience strongly preferred
- Orchestral, instrumental or string ensemble conducting, and rehearsal experience required
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree (or higher) preferred
- Vast experience with string instruments and pedagogy, including a successful performance history
- A proven record of success with ensembles and orchestra
- All candidates will have a background check passed through SLED for both the orchestra and the school districts.
- Note: A teaching certification in South Carolina is NOT required
- Create a positive, welcoming, and inviting atmosphere in all youth orchestra events, such as rehearsals and performances, to foster camaraderie and love of music
- Programming appropriate repertoire for the group based on instrumentation, level, size of group, etc.
- Recruit, retain and grow string orchestra through network of Dorchester, Berkeley, Charleston County school districts, home-school communities, private and religious school districts, and more
- Hold auditions and create appropriate seating charts
- Lead weekly ensemble rehearsals
- Lead the youth orchestra in 3 yearly performances to coincide with the school year and SO season.
- Report directly to S.O. Music Director Wojciech Milewski
Music Advocate/School Specialist
- Work with local elementary school music teachers/ homeschool communities to create a fun engaging seminar for students to want to join orchestra in middle school
- Work with local middle school orchestra teachers and provide help with sectionals, additional help, or as a step-in/guest conductor.
- Mentor local high school orchestra teachers to create a plan for students who wish to major or minor in music.
- Assisting as needed with S.O. music director (not to exceed maximum work time)
- Act as cover conductor for all S.O. performances, in collaboration with Music Director Wojciech Milewski
- Assisting with set up and tear down for S.O. rehearsals and performances when necessary
S.O. Logistical Support
To aid in the success of the program, the Summerville Orchestra will be responsible for:
- securing venues for performances and rehearsals, including chairs, stands.
- providing sheet music as requested by Youth Orchestra Conductor/Education Coordinator
- support committee of teachers from private, home-school and public sectors to aid in recruitment, mentorship, and strategy
- providing clinician support for coaching, sectionals, and more to enhance offerings for students.
Please submit the following materials to the Summerville Orchestra at email@example.com no later than 11:59 p.m. ET, Sunday, August 7, 2022.
In the subject line, please be sure to include “SOYSO Conductor/Education Coordinator Application – Your Name”
Resumé or CV, specifically outlining previous teaching and performance experience
- Cover letter expressing your desire to lead and grow this pilot program
As part of your cover letter, please include a one-two paragraph view point on your pedagogical ideas
- 2-4 conducting clips; at least 1 clip to show teaching and/or rehearsal technique with string students
- Clips not to exceed 3 minutes in length; do not include more than 4 clips
- Clips can be uploaded either via email or through YouTube links
- 3-5 references
Finalists will be notified no later than EOB Monday, Aug. 8, 2022.
Final interviews will be conducted Aug. 15, 2022 (preferably in-person, in Summerville, South Carolina).
Start date for this position is Sept. 1, 2022.
About the Summerville Orchestra
Made up of musicians from Summerville and surrounding communities, the Summerville Orchestra was founded by a small group of musicians to play orchestral music for the pure joy of it. Some were professionals, others were amateurs; all were volunteers, including the director, George Frink, of Charleston. In 2005, Alexander Agrest was named music director, a position he held until 2015. After an international search, Wojciech Milewski was chosen as music director in July 2016. Today, the Summerville Orchestra is a thriving orchestra, playing to sold out houses at the Summers Corner Performing Arts Center, offering diverse and innovative programming options, and continuously cultivating community relations. The orchestra offers several outreach series in the Summerville area and maintains strong relationships with several community partners.