All arts and cultural institution leaders in the greater Charleston area are invited to become a member of the newly formed SC250 Charleston Arts and Cultural Council, an organization created to bring arts and cultural organizations in the greater Charleston area together to work on organizing, promoting, and supporting events and programs related to the 250th anniversary of the U.S., the American Revolution, and our nation’s founding.
The goal is to create a universal understanding of how SC250 is an excellent opportunity for arts and cultural organizations to draw people to the Lowcountry to celebrate the essential role our city played not just in the American Revolution, but in the founding of our nation.
On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 11 a.m. the SC250 Charleston Arts and Cultural Council will host an information meeting at the Charleston Library Society. Representatives from all arts and cultural institutions in the Charleston area are welcome to attend. RSVP is required by Friday, May 19. To RSVP and become a member of the council, please visit https://forms.gle/jwUo9yux4C6MM2P9A.
There is no fee to become a member. At this point, the membership requirements include:
- Registering with the council (provide basic organizational information) through https://forms.gle/jwUo9yux4C6MM2P9A
- Providing information about activities planned and/or confirmed that relate to 250th anniversary, the American Revolution, or the founding of our nation
- Attending meetings and participate on committees as available
The primary services the council would provide to members include:
- Fostering an environment where Charleston’s arts and cultural organization leaders can work together and inspire each other while working on a shared goal (the celebration of the 250th anniversary).
- Maintenance of a website to promote the council and the individual member organizations (each member organization would have a dedicated page with hyperlinks to the organization’s main website).
- A shared public calendar of events by the member organizations that relate to the 250th anniversary or activities related to the U.S. Revolution.
- A shared private calendar of events that are planned and published by the member organizations that relate to the 250th anniversary or activities related to the U.S. Revolution. This tool will be useful so organizations can see what others are planning, to simultaneously enable collaborative planning and to avoid conflicting programming or redundancy.
- Detailed timeline of activities related to the U.S. Revolution (provided by the American Revolution Charleston250 Committee), to allow organizations to plan events that coincide with important historic milestones.
- Provide information on funding available to support 250th anniversary activities
- Provide background documents related to the 250th anniversary
- In 2016 a bill passed in the U.S. Congress created the United States Semiquincentennial Commission.
- In 2018 the S.C. General Assembly chartered SC250, with the mission of celebrating and promoting South Carolina’s role in the American Revolution.
- On January 17, 2023 the Charleston County Council recognized and approved the American Revolution Charleston250 Committee.
- On May 4, 2023 the SC250 Charleston Arts and Cultural Council was formed
SC250 CHARLESTON ARTS AND CULTURAL COUNCIL, Founding Members
- Martha E. Anderson (Board Member, Charleston Heritage Symposium)
- Yuriy Bekker (Artistic Director, Principal Pops Conductor, Charleston Symphony)
- Ann Bacot Daughtridge (Board Member, Charleston Heritage Symposium, William Means & Associates Real Estate)
- Courtenay Daniels (Board Chair, Charleston Heritage Symposium)
- Belk Daughtridge (Family Asset Management)
- Laura Mina (Head Librarian, Charleston Library Society)
- Sandra Nikolajevs (President and Artistic Director, Chamber Music Charleston)
- Doug MacIntyre (SC250 Lowcountry Liaison)
- Brett Bennett (SC250 Charleston co-organizer; treasurer South Carolina American Revolution 250th Commission)
- George McDaniel (historian, SC Battleground Preservation Trust)