Application deadline: open until position is filled
The Sandlapper Singers, headquartered in Columbia, S.C., is a semi-professional chorus specializing in American choral music. The general manager is a part-time position supporting chorus operations. The schedule will range from 10-20 hours per week, but workload will vary depending on the season and needs of the organization, with increased hours before concerts, with summer mailings, and other times as needed.
This position reports to the board chair and collaborates with the artistic director. Candidates should have excellent communications and organizational ability, problem-solving skills with attention to detail and ability to multitask and meet deadlines. Candidates should be self-motivated and have the ability to work with minimal supervision and possess an entrepreneurial and team spirit that utilizes creative thinking and attention to detail. Candidates should have knowledge or experience with Microsoft Office Suite and desktop publishing software.
The general manager must be able to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends, to accommodate organization needs. Familiarity with the operations of a musical organization is preferable. Experience managing an arts group is also preferable.
- Must have an interest in the arts and music.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent job description experience, with at least two years of administrative, marketing, and/or customer service experience preferred.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Raise funds through fund raisers and sponsorships
- Secure interested board members
- Write effective grants
- Able to create long-term plans and prepare board members and volunteers on all projects and concerns so that important needs are completed in a timely and efficient basis.
- Work vigorously and collaboratively on development with the artistic director
- Timely preparation and content of promotional material for all Singers concerts as approved by the board of directors.
- Production, content and publication of season brochure and concert programs.
- Develop concert production timeline in conjunction with artistic director; coordinate all concert preparations including communication with host facility about equipment availability and setup, ticket sales, concert payment distributions and managing volunteers.
- Work with artistic director to maintain master calendar of rehearsals, concerts, meetings and events.
- Attend board meetings as an ex-officio member.
- Oversee volunteers to ensure that all necessary tasks are completed and all deadlines are met.
- Work with the webmaster to ensure the website stays current by providing board-approved content.
- Survey audiences and monitor audience demographics for analysis and present statistics and evaluation to the board of directors.
- Other duties as assigned by board of directors and a close collaboration with the artistic director.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, submit a resume and supporting materials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Sandlapper Singers
Founded in 1996, the Sandlapper Singers, South Carolina’s premier professional choral ensemble, presents American choral music in a uniquely entertaining and engaging style to audiences throughout the state and beyond. The 30-35 voice auditioned ensemble performs an annual subscription series of three concerts presented twice in acoustically superior venues in the Columbia metro area. Directed and co-founded by Dr. Lillian Quackenbush, the Singers specialize in the works of American composers, past and present, offering a delightful mix of both familiar and new music. In addition to beautiful and inspiring singing, the Sandlapper concerts may include a variety of the other arts, visuals, dance, and insightful commentary.
The mission of the Sandlapper Singers is to present American choral music in a uniquely entertaining, inspiring, and engaging style and to provide educational opportunities for young singers.