- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, September 1, 2023
- COMPENSATION INFORMATION: $50,000-$60,000 / FT / bonus potential
Redux Contemporary Art Center, a 501c3 non-profit arts organization established in 2002, is searching for an exceptional arts administrator to serve as the organization’s full-time executive director.
Redux’s mission is to foster creativity and the cultivation of contemporary art through diverse exhibitions, affordable studio space for visual artists, meaningful education programs, and a multidisciplinary approach to the dialogue between artists and their audiences. Redux is recognized by the community of Charleston as an incubator for the city’s robust art scene. Redux is governed by a nine-member board of directors. For more information about Redux, visit reduxstudios.org.
This full-time position is located in Charleston. It is preferred that the applicant will have local ties as they must possess the skills and abilities to assimilate with the artistic and cultural milieu of Charleston and the wider nonprofit and philanthropic community of the Lowcountry. Redux’s executive director must reside in Charleston or a neighboring community while employed in this position.
The executive director is expected to provide artistic vision, competent leadership, intentional fundraising strategies and overall direction for day-to-day operations in furtherance of Redux’s mission, consistent with board established goals and policies. To this end, the executive director has the following chief duties:
Business Planning and Program Management
- Develop and cultivate an artistic vision for Redux and its programming as it aligns with the mission.
- Conduct research on grants and other funding opportunities with foundations and other non profit organizations, public sector agencies, corporations, and civic groups.
- Coordinate fundraising efforts including but not limited to membership program and Annual Art Auction
- Oversee and ensure the integrity of day-to-day financial operations and transactions.
- Ensure the timely preparation and submission of payroll taxes, annual reports, information returns, and other government filings.
- Assess, monitor, develop, and promote the marketing needs of Redux by maintaining the overall public brand that has been cultivated through Redux’s social media channels, website, newsletter, annual reports, and other promotional materials.
Personnel and Property Management
- Develop and maintain position descriptions for all staff and key volunteer positions
- Hire staff, discipline and terminate staff as needed
- Maintain the personnel policies and procedures which complies with all applicable state and federal labor laws
- Maintain policies and procedures as related to Redux’s physical location
- Oversee the organization and safekeeping of agency documents, records, files, art, etc.
Board and Committee Support
- Provide support, upon request, for the operations and communications of the Board of Directors, Officers, and Board Committees
- Prepare reports to the Board as directed or established in Board policies
- Inform the Board of Directors when an important, critical, or controversial internal or external issue or action has occurred or is about to occur
- Serve as a resource and advisor to the Board in assessing Redux’s needs, understanding industry trends and practices, and developing and updating
- Board policies pertaining to management and operations
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Arts administration background with a strong track record in fundraising, grant writing and/or revenue generation;
- At least 6 years of experience in the non-profit sector or comparable experience in a face paced, high-level administrative role;
- Education or experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree is required for this position, though a master’s degree is preferred;
- Experience developing membership programs and cultivating diverse networks of supporters and constituents;
- Financial management experience, specifically with operational and programmatic budgets;
- Ability to multitask efficiently and juggle multiple important, time sensitive tasks in a fast paced environment;
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience in managing/supervising staff and volunteers;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Strong proficiency with technology;
- Ability to problem solve and navigate interpersonal situations with poise and professionalism;
- Familiarity with the Charleston art community is a plus
Salary & Benefits
- Redux Contemporary Art Center is able to offer an annual salary range of $50,000-$60,000 to be paid bi-weekly, and will be eligible for a year-end bonus, per the discretion of the board of directors.
- A health insurance stipend of $5,000 will be incorporated into the agreed upon salary to reimburse an individual coverage plan.
- Redux offers staff unlimited PTO which includes major federal holidays and weekends, per the discretion of the staff.
Instructions for Applicants
To be considered for this position, please send an email to the Redux Search Committee at EDSearchCommittee@reduxstudios.org with the subject line reading: “Redux ED Application, Firstname Lastname.” The email should include a current resume, a cover letter which includes the applicant’s salary requirements, and three professional references.
The application period will close on September 1, 2023 and review of applicants will begin. Faxed, mailed, or hand-delivered letters and resumes will not be accepted.
This position will have a projected start date of December 1, 2023.