APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, July 9, 2021
The Arts Council of York County (ACYC) Board of Directors is seeking an energetic and transformative leader for its next full-time executive director.
Key responsibilities include leading and overseeing the administration, operation, programs, and strategic plan of ACYC, along with implementing robust fundraising, marketing, and outreach efforts. The executive director will lead a staff of four dedicated professionals and will work closely with members of the arts community, business and government leaders, academic institutions, and nonprofit sectors at the local, state, and regional, and national levels to accelerate the growing reputation and success of ACYC.
About Arts Council of York County
Established in 1977, ACYC is a 501c3 organization that strives to create and support a thriving, diverse, and vibrant arts community in York County, South Carolina. Its mission is to create arts programming that encourages education, economic development and arts advocacy through unique art experiences that engage the community to make York County a regional
Centrally located in historic Old Town Rock Hill, South Carolina, ACYC has established an arts anchor on three blocks of Main Street. The Center for the Arts, housed in two 100-year-old buildings, is currently home to the Arts Council offices, classroom space, artist studios and three gallery spaces. The Gettys Art Center, also one of Rock Hill’s historic buildings, is home to Downtown Artistry, the Rock Hill Pottery Center, Social Design House, and more artist studios, including Friday Arts Project.
In 2018, results from the National Endowment of the Arts Arts & Economic Impact Study helped to change the perception of The Arts – leaders now recognize the arts as an economic engine, generating a $27 Million economic impact in York County and contributing to York County being the fastest growing county in South Carolina.
About the Position
The executive director must be a visionary catalyst for advancing and achieving the mission of ACYC.
Key responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Organizational mission and strategy – spearhead strategic planning to ensure multi-year opportunities and growth for the organization to fulfill its mission into the future. Establish, implement, and evaluate programming and events that align with and support the organization’s mission.
- Board management – lead the ACYC in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors; communicate effectively, timely, and accurately with the Board all information necessary to function properly, engage, and make informed decisions; convene monthly meetings of the Board (and committees, as appropriate) and maintain an accurate record of meeting minutes, agendas, and other critical information; regularly review the bylaws to ensure all activities of ACYC are in accordance.
- Day-to-day operations – provide organizational leadership in all aspects of ACYC operations to include recruitment, hiring, training, development, supervision and management of staff; oversee operation, facility rentals, and maintenance of ACYC owned and managed facilities; ensure the recruitment, retention, and recognition of volunteers; develop and implement appropriate procedures and guidelines to complement ACYC policies and ensure compliance with federal and state laws.
- Financial management, performance and viability – ensure the fiscal integrity of ACYC; prepare, present, and administer an annual budget to ensure fiscal solvency; work in partnership with the Board Finance Committee to monitor financial and investment activities and make adjustments as needed and approved; develop necessary resources to support ACYC’s mission to include growing business and individual memberships and sponsorships; implement a robust fundraising program to include grants, donor solicitations, special events, and other appropriate funding opportunities; manage compliance of grants from federal, state, local government and other entities; ensure effective stewardship of all ACYC resources and supporters.
- Community liaison and advocate – expand and enhance ACYC’s reputation and image by being an active and visible community partner and working closely with other organizations; develop strong arts alliances with the community and actively evaluate potential opportunities to develop or expand partnerships; serve as a representative, liaison, or member on a variety of state, regional, and local boards and committees; serve as an advocate for the arts at state and local levels; strengthen and maintain relationships with ACYCs partner organizations; promote York County and Rock Hill as an arts and cultural destination to attract emerging talent; lead all community outreach efforts for the organization.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate and effectively build strong relationships and partnerships, both internally and externally
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Proficiency with grant writing, fundraising, and donor development
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated passion and understanding of the arts
Education, Training, and Experience
Candidates for this position will need to possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in arts administration, arts education, non-profit management or related field; master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of five years in management
- Supervisory and leadership experience
- Programs and operations management
- Experience with strategic planning and implementation
- Proven success and track record in fundraising
- Involvement in and appreciation of the arts community
The salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits are competitive and include paid time off (PTO) for personal and sick leave, 401(k), health insurance and more.
Interested persons should apply by submitting the following information:
- Cover letter, expressing interest in the position and highlighting experiences that make them a qualified applicant
- Professional references (a minimum of five, including email addresses and telephone numbers)
- Salary expectations
Application materials should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be received and considered through July 9, 2021.