Brandon Fellowship opportunity for emerging Greenville artists
Three sought for high-profile GCCA program
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wednesday, July 7, 2021
Greenville Center for Creative Arts is seeking artists to apply for the 2021-22 Brandon Fellowship.
The high-profile, 12-month program aims to develop three emerging artists between the ages of 21-30 by providing a supportive environment, mentorship, and art education. The three main goals of the Brandon Fellowship are:
- To help launch young artists
- To foster a sense of community
- To reflect the diversity of Greenville artists
The application opened Monday. All materials must be submitted by the application closing date of July 7, 2021.
Criteria for eligibility
Criteria for eligibility may vary over time depending on the demographic make-up of the active artist community at GCCA. To fulfill the goal of promoting diversity, initially and for the foreseeable future, the basic criteria for selection are as follows:
- Applicants must be resident of Greenville County.
- Applicant must be between 21 and 30 years of age.
- Applicants who turn 21 before the end of the application period are eligible to apply. Applicants who turn 31 before the application period opens are not eligible to apply.
- Prior professional art training or post-secondary education is not required.
- Successful candidates will be highly talented, self-motivated artists with the discipline to work on their own. They will also be community-minded and eager to participate in group activities with other Brandon Fellows and events at GCCA.
- At the time of application, an applicant must be a citizen of the United States or a lawful permanent resident of the United States for at least 5 years.
- Selection will be made without regard to marital status, sexual orientation, religion, or disability.
Benefits of the Brandon Fellowship
- A free university-style studio at GCCA, where a minimum of 25 hours per week must be spent working. Fellows often interact with guests during GCCA’s public hours.
- A $500 stipend for art supplies.
- Complimentary classes and workshops at GCCA.
- Mentorship from a local artist.
- Presentation of an ARTalk lecture.
- Participation in an exhibition in August-September.
- Opportunities for networking, collaboration, and participation in other local arts events.
- A visit to a local or regional museum of interest.
- Broad exposure as an artist in Greenville and beyond.