Museum Matinee: The Baruchs of Hobcaw
In 1718, 17,500 acres of pristine land in Georgetown County became a colonial land grant, or barony, from the King of England to one of the Lords Proprietors. The Native Americans called it “hobcaw,” meaning “between the waters.” Purchased by Bernard Baruch in 1905, Hobcaw Barony eventually passed into the hands of Baruch’s daughter, Belle, who created a foundation to protect it from development. The documentary film, The Baruchs of Hobcaw, tells the story of the Baruchs and Hobcaw Barony, which today is home to the University of South Carolina’s Baruch Marine Field Laboratory and Clemson’s Belle W. Baruch Institute of Coastal Ecology and Forest Science. The Horry County Museum in Conway hosts a free “Museum Matinee” screening of The Baruchs of Hobcaw, as part of the “Carolina Stories” Series by SCETV, March 11th at 1:00 PM.