Arts ed position posted in Sumter
Director of Art Education at
Sumter County Gallery of Art
Deadline to apply: n/a, applications open until position filled
The director of art education at the Sumter County Gallery of Art (SCGA) manages the Art Education Program.
He/she is responsible for curriculum development, coordination and operation of the Gallery’s educational programs, which include gallery based programs and art classes, and off-site, community–based art education programs and partnerships. The position requires professionalism, commitment to quality programming and excellent service, connecting with families and children, artist communities, education communities, community organizations, and the community at-large.
The successful candidate should be a highly creative thinker with the ability to develop an art education based and fun curriculum that utilizes a variety of media. Shall possess knowledge of modern and contemporary art and artistic practices, including socially engaged and culturally diverse art; commitment to community engagement; research, budgeting, personnel management skills.
- Implement, evaluate and manage all established SCGA art education programs including: 7-week Summer Art Camp for youth ages 4-17, spring and fall classes for youth and adults, Summer Art Camp Scholarship Fund, workshops, festivals and off-site partnerships including, but not limited to, the HYPE afterschool program serving 450 children at 8 sites and Art for Seniors partnership serving 6 rural Community Centers.
- Develop and implement new art education programming and community partnerships.
- Seek out community groups with different missions for possible collaborative programming that align with the socially aware and inclusive mission of SCGA.
- Collaborate with gallery staff, the Director, Curator, and education assistant on ideas, programs and activities that relate SCGA art programs with the exhibitions when appropriate.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and graphic design computer programs. Ability to design and generate spreadsheets, invitations, brochures, posters for all SCGA art programs strongly desired. Maintain the Education page of the SCGA website.
- Identify and write grants to fund educational programming
- Work with educators from Sumter School District to coordinate field trips and design assignments based on SCGA exhibitions.
- Supervise and train education staff and volunteers
- Plan and manage education budget
- Prepare written reports for bi-monthly Gallery Board meetings.
- A bachelor’s degree is required, and a master’s degree preferred in Art Education, Studio Art or related field OR a minimum 2 years experience in art education at the classroom, museum or arts organization level is preferred. The position involves some weekend and evening work, to include at least one Saturday a month.
- Knowledge and appreciation of contemporary art, artistic practices, socially engaged art, and museum education methodology
- Solid computer skills including Filemaker Pro, Word, Excel, PhotoShop or Illustrator.
- Knowledge of WordPress website platform.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, including personnel management, budgeting, prioritization, preparation and time management.
- Self-directed, energetic, highly motivated, and outcome-oriented. Respect for and sensitivity to diversity and individuality.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds.
- SCGA has a small, close-knit staff and we all wear many hats – some not directly related to the job description. Must be a good “team player” with an attitude and willingness to help and support each other.
- Some evening and weekend work – at least one Saturday a month.
Competitive salary based on experience. Vacation and sick leave. E.O.E.
Email résumé w/references and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. 803.775.0543.