American Craft Council show to feature #SCartists
South Carolina Arts Commission is announcing a pop-up exhibition to take place at the American Craft Council Show Atlanta 2020 at the Cobb Galleria March 13-15. It’s organized by South Carolina Arts Commission Visual Arts in partnership with the American Craft Council. This pop up debuts the council’s new initiative to highlight southern states’ craft communities. The South Carolina Arts Commission is the first state arts agency to participate in this initiative.
The South Carolina Arts Commission Pop-Up showcases six artists from the Palmetto State whose work honors the old while embracing the new in unexpected and imaginative ways. For over 50 years, the South Carolina Arts Commission has worked to ensure a climate in which artists are valued and remain at the core of South Carolina’s creative economy. The six makers included in the pop-up are some of the best South Carolina artists working in their respective craft medium. Their work highlights some of the predominant trends taking place in South Carolina: tradition, innovation, social justice, technology, entrepreneurship, and upcycling.
- Tradition: Chief Bill Harris of Rock Hill, Catawba pottery (above)
- Innovation: Mana Hewitt of Columbia, medals featuring women of historic importance
- Technology: Valerie Zimany of Central, porcelain and clay using 3D printing
- Entrepreneurship: Quintin Middleton of St. Stephen, Middleton Made Knives
- Upcycling: Flavia Lovatelli of Columbia, mixed media trashion wearable art
- Social Justice: Jean Grosser of Hartsville, assemblage
Three of the six artists will attend ACC for one day each. Grosser (1993), Hewitt (2006), and Zimany (2020) are South Carolina Arts Commission Fellows.
School Days 1949 (Briggs v. Elliott)
Wood & paper
22” x 22” x 2 ½”
Chief Bill Harris
7” x 12” x 6”
Courtesy of McKissick Museum, University of South Carolina
Ceramic, wheel-thrown and hand built porcelain with press-molded sprigs from three-dimensional model prints and hand-modelled florals
21″ x 11″ x 11″